Ok I have been coming up with these Golden Rules for a while. My passions are writing, marketing, sales and social media. So I have come up with quite a few snippets of wisdom over the years. I did a talk about social media for authors at the Skagit Valley Writers League recently and I found myself saying frequently: “Ok, here is another one of my Golden Rules.” I realized, although you can find these scattered among various blog articles on my site, I don’t have them gathered up into one neat and tidy place. I also think I may be missing a few, because I tend to remember them in the moment as I teach and trying to recall them in list form is not as easy as I thought it would be. So, if I remember more I will add them here as they come to me.
Amanda’s Golden Rules of social media and marketing for authors:
- Use social media for its intended purpose!
- All roads lead to your website!
- Know, Like, Trust: the trifecta of sales and marketing perfection. Sales is about being able to make that know, like, trust connection with people in the two minutes you have their attention.
- Stealth promotion, not self promotion. To give = to receive.
- Social media is not the most important thing you do in your day, don’t make it the first thing you do.
- Your blog’s primary purpose in life is not to be read but to create fresh content for Google robots.
- Your content will make your site valuable to others, but your Call to Action makes your site valuable to you. Understand this above all else.
- Put your most valued Call to Action (the one thing you want people to do when they visit your website) in the prime real estate of your website (upper left).
- Know how to find your audience; know how to target your audience. When you look for people to interact with on social media, look for your audience!
- Make a complete profile (including pic, bio, link to your website) on as many social media as you can (hit all the majors; don’t forget forums and boards). Then find one or two you like and enjoy and focus all your time and energy there. Become a part of the community, make connections with people.
Addendums to the Golden Rules (cuz I just remembered another of my oft quoted nuggets of wisdom)
11. The best way to get someone’s attention is to give them your attention.